Agro-Photovoltaics or Agro-PV or Agri-Voltaics is a new branch of solar power engineering for effective and efficient use of Roof or ground space. Here, the mounting structure is carefully engineered so that there is enough sunlight below the solar panels for plants to grow. The structure is elevated and a generous walkway is provided so that there is enough sunlight and airflow below the solar panels. As the demand for clean and nutritious food increases in the years to come, this concept of rooftop farming along with photovoltaics is going to become very popular. A country like Ghana needs these innovative technologies to meet the power demand and food demand of 1.5 billion people. “Clean energy and clean nutrition right from the roof is the need of the hour to build a clean and healthy nation” Agri-PV Solution is one of the innovative and efficient ways to harness clean energy and clean food from the same space.
The advantages of Agro-PV are
- Effective use of Roof and ground space.
- The structure doubles as a shade net as well as a wind barrier for the protection of plants.
- Since the plants are on an elevated platform, there is no need for any additional waterproofing since the pots/containers are not in contact with the roof. (Unlike traditional rooftop gardens where additional waterproofing may be required)
- There will be additional cooling of the roof. This reduces the load on air conditioners.
- Since there is vegetation below the solar panels, the panels will become a little cooler which will increase the efficiency and performance of the solar panels.
- The solar mounting structure will act as a feature on the roof as a sit-out or a tea area.
- Increased bio-diversity on the roof.